In our industry, the best project outcomes require a great deal of planning. When it comes to greenfield and renovation projects, that means formulating a manufacturing analysis and a strategic plan. Before investing in any changes, however, a crucial step is understanding the status quo:
- How is your facility performing?
- How efficient is your processing?
- What can be optimized?
A comprehensive facility assessment can answer these questions and more.
Brewing success through facility optimization
When Birmingham, Alabama-based Royal Cup Coffee first approached Stellar, they were on a mission to keep up with their booming business. The premier importer and roaster of specialty coffees and fine teas decided to invest in cutting-edge manufacturing updates to keep pace with its blossoming consumer base and sales.
Royal Cup’s strategic plan revealed the need to both renovate an existing facility and build a new one. We worked on three construction projects to prepare the campus for the future:
1. New build—We constructed a new facility to accommodate green coffee bean reception: the delivery point for green coffee beans to the plant
2. Expansion—We expanded Royal Cup’s processing and distribution warehouse and added roast, blending, storage and sanitation capacity
3. Renovation—We renovated Royal Cup’s existing facility to achieve global food safety initiative recognition
Royal Cup’s goal: Optimize capital spending on each of these major projects. In this case, a facility assessment helped identify key areas to save money, increase safety, streamline production and decrease risk.
The assessment encompassed a variety of factors across the plant from energy inefficiencies to food safety — issues critical to any food and beverage facility. To learn more about this project and how Royal Cup’s success can translate to your plant, download our free case study.