Aug 9, 2018
At Stellar, we construct a lot of cold storage facilities and distribution centers. In fact, over the years we’ve designed and built more than 10 million square feet of public refrigerated warehouse space.
My point? We notice patterns in consumer demand, common challenges and external factors that influence the market as a whole.
Here are six of the top things affecting the cold storage construction industry right now.
Refrigeration Control Series
Apr 1, 2013
While new refrigeration control systems are significant capital investments, their value far exceeds their cost. In large food processing or cold storage facilities, refrigeration typically accounts for more than half of the facility’s total electric energy use. And with unplanned downtime costing many facilities tens of thousands of dollars per day, an aging refrigeration control system can put your business at significant risk.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, it may be time to upgrade or replace your existing system:
- Is your current control system more than 10-15 years old?
- Have you experienced unplanned facility downtime due to refrigeration failures?
- Are the individual components of your refrigeration controls system operating as islands, meaning they work independently and don’t “talk” to each other?
- Are you still operating on a serial network that’s linear, making it difficult to expand your capabilities?
- Do you have unstable suction and head pressures? Are you unable to trim fans and pumps via VFD control?