In cold storage environments, thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) single-ply roofing systems have become the roofing system of choice due to their energy efficiency, reliability, labor-saving installation, and maintenance advantages.
There are many factors that determine what roofing materials are most appropriate for a facility. For example, how much foot traffic will occur on the roof? What mechanical equipment will be located on top of the building? What are the geographic and climate requirements? What is the building’s interior environment?
TPO single-ply roofing systems offer five distinct advantages for a cold storage facility:
1. Energy efficiency — The white membrane of a TPO single-ply roofing system reflects the heat of the sun, which maximizes the facility’s utility efficiency and helps reduce energy costs. Sometimes referred to as “cool roofs,” a white TPO single-ply roof helps your facility maintain a cooler interior environment.
2. Wind Uplift Design — TPO single-ply roofing systems are robust and adaptable to all geographic locations, including areas where roof systems must meet the most stringent wind uplift codes. As part of an overall roofing assembly, a mechanically-fastened TPO single-roofing system can be designed to meet the strongest uplift requirements in the industry.
3. Reliability — A TPO single-ply roofing system can achieve a manufacturer’s watertight system warranty for up to 25 years depending on the system design. Upon project completion, a manufacturer’s technical representative will inspect the TPO roofing installation for proper detailing and specification adherence.
4. Installation — With regard to a cold storage application, TPO single-ply membranes are pliable and have a low perm rating and make excellent vapor barriers. With the proper design, TPO membrane is used to make superior air infiltration details at critical areas of cold stage construction, such as the roof / wall junction. Typically, installation of a TPO single-ply roof is quicker, cleaner and more cost-effective than other types of roofing systems. BUR and other asphalt-based roofing systems tend to be labor and equipment intensive and not as conducive to low temperature roof detailing.
5. Maintenance — TPO single-ply roofing systems require minimal maintenance but your maintenance team will want to inspect the roof on a regular basis for any signs of membrane damage due to debris on the roof caused by weather or personnel. On a TPO single-ply roof, tears and punctures are easy to locate, isolate and repair.
If you’d like to learn more about TPO single-ply roofing for cold storage facilities, please email me at email@example.com.